“Shortbread Ghost Cookies”
By: Amanda McCarthy ’19, staff writer
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- ½ cup of cornstarch
- Orange and blue food coloring
- For frosting:
- 1 ⅓ cup of confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup of softened butter
- 2 ½ teaspoons of 2% milk
- 60 semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar and cornstarch until blended. Gradually beat in flour. If desired, divide dough in half; tint one portion orange and the other blue. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. tulip-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, butter and milk; beat until smooth. Pipe eyes onto each ghost; top with chocolate chips. Let stand until set.